Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Starting Seeds and Transferring Seedlings

I've started thirty tomato varieties, twenty something pepper varieties, two tomatillo varieties, and several cole crops. Some of the tomatoes, peppers, and cole crops have grown a second set of true leaves and are ready for transplanting.




Sometimes people get confused by the term "true leaves". When seeds germinate, the two green leaves that unfurl directly from the seed are called cotyledons. The next set of leaves to grow will be more distinctive to that species of plant, and are the first set of "true leaves." This year, I have decided to transplant my seedlings from the tiny cell trays to 4" peat pots once they have developed a second set of true leaves. The second set often indicates a healthily developing root system, and though many people prefer to wait until the plant is root bound, I prefer to not have to harm the roots during transplant.







The brandywine tomato seedling is already becoming rootbound. The orange bell pepper seedling was just starting to grow the second set of true leaves, and already has a good root system.



At this point, Quadrapus is all sorts of curious about what I'm doing. And, she's not crouching in the photo. She's really that high...or low. She's a munchkin breed, which have genetically short legs.




I'm not sure she approves of the peat pots. I fill the 4" peat pot with more sterile seedling mix, but I add a spoonful of compost from the pile in the backyard. I poke a hole in the middle of the dirt for the waiting seedling.




Q is all like, "Mmmmmm, dirt..."

I use a spoon to pop the seedling from the tray, letting the dirt stay with the seedling's roots. At this point, I have thinned out any competing seedlings to ensure the healthy growth of a single plant. (I pinch the less robust seedlings with my nails below the cotyledons.) Some people like to tease out seedlings from each other and pot all the plants. I prefer not to damage any root systems that can be especially sensitive at this time of growth, and I get enough plants. But, it's up to you.




Quadrapus thinks I should plant this pepper next.

With tomato plants (and with tomatillos), you can place them into the soil all the way up to the bottom leaves. Roots will form all along the stem below the surface.
With other plants, place in the soil above the crown of the roots.




Once all the seedlings have been planted, I water using a weak organic fertilizer solution. I place them back beneath the grow lights, and in another week, they'll wow me with size and luster.

The leftover seed cells I will use for more planting. I often don't even sterilize them (I know, blasphemous!). I fill them with a sterile seed mix, plant my seeds according to package directions, and place them beneath the grow light.




I keep the soil moist at all times, and I find that beneath the warm glow of T5 HO bulbs, I don't have a problem with damping off fungus killing the little guys.

Here are some more photos of Quadrapus "helping". Apologies for the blurriness.












Happy Planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment