Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Big News!

In 7th and in 8th grade, Coxsackie-Athens middle school in Coxsackie NY invited a man named Dean to come in and do a presentation for students. He is, by far, my favorite presenter of all time. He's the only presenter who's name I can recall.

Dean captured my attention because he brought us animals. He had reptiles of every size, the madagascar cockroach (which he let me touch), birds of prey, and a bobcat. I learned that Dean allowed certain volunteers and interns at his facility to help out. Before I had the chance to get on this track, I discovered we were eventually moving to Connecticut.

I always thought the person who stood at the front of a class or an assembly and held a hawk on their arm was the coolest person in the room. "Hi, I have a MOTHER F-IN HAWK on my ARM." I never figured out how to become that person. Until now.

Before I get into that, let me share some other news.

I have not been happy at my current job. Public health is important, but my passion lies in ecology and environmental health (which I know to also be public health). I sent some feelers out for jobs along those lines, and got offered a position to expand a youth development program centered around gardening.

COUNT ME IN.

While the position pays well, it is not full time. So I also accepted the job of being a naturalist for a local nature center. Which means I do outdoor education with school groups, AND bring critters into classrooms to introduce to kids.

I AM SO SUPER PSYCHED.

Color me all the shades of grateful.

The funny thing is, while I am coming up with hawk deterrents out in the backyard to protect my chickens, I am also looking forward to working with these big, beautiful birds in an educational setting.

Life can really come together if you keep planting good seeds, even as challenges approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment