Saturday, January 4, 2014

Addition and Subtraction

2013 was a year for adding. I took on a near excessive amount of graduate classes to accompany my full time work. I loved it, even if at times I was stressed, tired, and disappointed. Academia, particularly the natural sciences, tickles me pink.

I also got married to my best friend and fabulous partner.











I acquired a beautiful creature who likes to glut himself on crickets and romaine lettuce.




We've named him Apollo. Here he is taking his first bath!







Chillin' like a reptilian:




My lively little girl Malai takes a nap in our new chair in the library.




She remains the apple of my eye, though some of the chickens are vying for that spot:















Let's not forget the ducks:










My life is full to the brim. As a result of the wedding registry and our super generous friends and family, my house is full to the brim.

Now, I try to cut back. 2014 will be about subtraction. I have a single project to do for my masters degree, I have two wonderful jobs centered around ecology and agriculture, and I continue my creative pursuits. However, there is necessary weekly household organization going on, along with trips to secondhand shops and shelters. (Not giving away the registry items, but a lot of stuff that's gone unused in our house - old clothes, old bread machine, old games, etc.) In addition, I will do less of the stuff that doesn't build toward my personal goals.

So, life is good, still busy, but not nearly as tense as it once was. In 2014 I hope to focus on what's really important - friendships, family, my partnership with my husband, and the activities which fulfill my sense of meaning.

So, less Facebook, guys. ;)

And I leave you with my most recent WIP:



Nothing special yet, but fun to work on!

No comments:

Post a Comment