Friday, February 7, 2014

Foodie Friday - Superb Owl Edition



It's Friday, and I've decided to claim it as a Foodie Friday.

This past Sunday was my least favorite secular/consumer holiday. I don't care for most sports, and I'm not all about the commercials. (Hooray for the culture of capitalism for creating a sensational, national celebration of a consumer activity - "oh, you don't like football? Watch it for the commercials. They're the best!")

But wait, there are things I like about this day.

I like community. I like talking with friends and acquaintances, and connecting over jokes, jests, and jeers. I like the party atmosphere, and the biggest element of that atmosphere: food.

As a vegetarian, I don't go in for the wings and the pigs in a blanket, obviously. I did discover some recipes I loved this year, and will use again in the future!

And here they are:

Avocado Egg Rolls with Chipotle Ranch Dip

These were delicious! To make these babies healthier, you can bake the egg rolls instead of frying. In lieu of sour cream and mayonnaise for the dip, I used greek yogurt.

Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower

Scrumptious and spicy! I sliced the cauliflower in half, and did buffalo for one half and a home-canned BBQ sauce for the other half. Yum yum!

Warm Blue Cheese Sriracha Corn Dip

Of course, you have to have a special dip. I loved this dip. We ate it with a crusty, garlicky, artisan bread from a local bakery. Again, instead of using cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise, I used equal amounts of Greek yogurt. I still mixed in the Monterey Jack and the bleu cheese, of course, plus the other ingredients. I try not to use heavily processed condiments in general. The substitution made no matter on taste, because I could have ate the whole bowl myself if I didn't have any impulse control. I used it in a sandwich the next day. Heaven!

There you have it, some wonderfully tasty, vegetarian-friendly appetizers fit for any party!

No comments:

Post a Comment