Friday, June 29, 2012

Garden Grub

I haven't even posted about my garden yet this year!

It's massive. The 36 foot long raised bed is full of swiss chard, spinach, a variety of looseleaf and head lettuces, a variety of radishes, beets, parsnips, endives, beans, peas, garlic, carrots, cabbage, aichi, kohlrabi, broccoli, brussels sprouts, baby corn, basil, onions, parsley, and cauliflower.

I expanded the bed on the side of the house and planted spaghetti squash, cinderella pumpkins, sugar pumpkins, cucumbers, basil, ground cherries, sorrel, feverfew, lamb's ear, and sage.

The bed along the fence has been planted with okra, artichokes, marigolds, and amaranth. The perennial herbs have doubled in size - oregano, thyme, sage, lavender, and tarragon. The fennel has quintupled in size. Marigolds from last year self-sowed and sprouted up everywhere, as did strawberries.

The numbers of pots on the deck has increased (how? oh, I have no idea...guess idle pots multiply by themselves...yeah, that's it...). Tomatoes of beefsteak, cherry, plum, and paste varieties are all out there. Plenty of peppers, both hot and sweet, and seven large pots of potatoes. Mints of chocolate and orange and lemon and spearmint reside in pots. Lemongrass is out there, too.

Inside I have sprouted sunflowers and morning glories. Outside, I have started new flower beds and have mulched and tidied the older flower beds. I've also started a trumpeter vine to trail up the signpost for the side street.

Most of my plants are grown from seed. My mother gave me a couple tomato plants and I bought a couple pepper plants. I also bought a stevia plant, and two sweet potato plants. I can't help myself when faced with cheap, organic options. Liz and I went to the Comstock Heirloom Plants Festival, and it was amazing we kept the plants we bought to one tray. Congratulate us for our self-restraint.

Oh, and Liz and I went in on a plot at a local community garden. There, we are growing corn, spaghetti squash, pole beans, cinderella pumpkins, small gourds, and sugar pumpkins. We're kind of nuts. I know.

But watching the beauty grow and eating fresh, organic veggies just can't be beat.


No comments:

Post a Comment