Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Garden Workshop

 Garden author Margaret Roach brought garden author Gayla Trail to Copake Falls, NY for a special workshop on seed-saving and putting up the harvest.

Margaret Roach and Gayla Trail
 
Making an aromatic salt rub with sage, rosemary, and garlic. Mmm...

I chose nasturtium blossoms for my first infused vinegar.

I chose shiso leaves for my second infused vinegar.

The day was amazing. My friend Liz and I left bright and early to make it to the 9am workshop. We started with a lovely tour of Margaret's garden - it is extensive, and just exquisite! You can see some photos of her garden over at her blog.

We snatched some seeds here and there from her garden, and made lovely little origami packets to place them into and take home with us. I just love that there can be so much sharing when it comes to gardening!

And seriously, I have taken to thieving seed heads wherever I go now. Lover watches me as I move toward a clump of flowers and starts admonishing me before I've even taken my hand out of my pocket to pinch off the bounty. He kids, of course. I think.

For the afternoon in the workshop, we talked about drying and freezing our harvest. Then we made a salt rub and infused vinegars. So fantastic!

Liz and I walked out with bags of seeds, as Gayla did not want to bring any home with her! I also got all the books I have of hers signed. Check out her site at YouGrowGirl.com.

And on our way back, we stopped at a farm stand and bought a big box of plum tomatoes to do more canning.

We're addicted. It might become necessary to keep us chaperoned at all times.

;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment