Saturday, September 1, 2012

Today's Tasks

Today was a day of tasks.

I started out with the 30 Day Shred. From there, I went out, bought canning jars and spices, raw and unfiltered apple cider, a notebook made from recycled paper for grad school, an organic and fair trade dark chocolate mint bar (this week's dessert), a flower bouquet from the farmer's market to spruce up the dining room table, and then several plants from the local nursery.

Two hibiscus plants and three mums now adorn the corner flowerbed. Already planted is the dwarf butterfly bush, pampas grass, sea oats, blue fescue, phlox, dianthus, stonecrop, hen & chicks, and gayflower.I get a lot of monarchs and bumble bees, and I've also seen hummingbird moths. Lover swears to me that he's seen actual hummingbirds, but I haven't seen any yet!

It was a hot day, but I pulled out the mulhy grass that had been underperforming, and put in the five new plants to add some color and interest.

I continued the tidying of the kitchen and living room, organized my jewelry, unpacked my bag from our last vacation, put in laundry, watered the cole crop seedlings under the grow light, brushed out Q's fur, trimmed Malai's nails, filled the birdfeeders, and began looking up recipes for fermentation. In the evening, we ordered pizza. After eating, I shredded the cabbage and smashed it into a big glass container, and covered it with a salty water combo. We'll see if it really becomes sauerkraut. :)

Tomorrow, my friend is coming over to make tomatoes into and can ketchup, red hot sauce, and paste. We're also going crush a bunch of them and can it to have for sauce. We bought 50 lbs of tomatoes from our CSA, plus extras from our own gardens. Yum. We're also pickling a half bushel of cucumbers, and I found a recipe for salt 'n' vinegar cucumber chips that I want to try.  I'm going to ferment the squash and eggplant that I have, and see if I like eggplant better when it's pickled.

So, a lot going on. I can't wait for Monday. I'm going to sleep in, treat myself to yoga and tea, and make art all day. Pretty sweet.

On a daily basis, I have been keeping up with my exercise, my morning pages, my yoga, and my gratitude journal.  I also have been sketching a lot, and I've outlined the first fourteen chapters of a book idea that has been percolating in the ol' brain.

Add to all this work and grad school, and I'm a busy bee. That's why a three day weekend is the best ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment