Monday, November 22, 2010

Make a Difference Day

For us at Public Allies, we had our first required service day on Saturday, November 13th. Public Allies gathered in New Haven, split into groups, and arrived at sites.

My group went to help the Alden Ave. Community Garden. This is an entirely new garden! We gathered a lot of brush and cleaned it out, plus started leveling out the ground for a tool shed. I met a carpenter named Larry, and Larry and I spearheaded the building of three raised beds, including a trapezoidal bed (yay for mitering!).



I wore three layers that day - hoodie, long-sleeve, and tee. By the early afternoon, I was down to the t-shirt because of the beautiful, sunny weather we were having. After the beds were built and filled with fresh compost, we planted garlic bulbs.

I'm so glad we got to help out this new garden. You can find out more about community gardening and how it helps here.

I also enjoyed helping because of what it does for me. (I have never claimed to be an altruist.) I plan on having raised beds in the backyard, and this gave me a better sense of how to do it. Putting two pieces of wood together with a screw gun is easy enough to think about, but this demonstrated how to make it structurally sound, and it was good practice. You never know what skills and knowledge you might gain when you spend a Saturday volunteering. Go Public Allies!

No comments:

Post a Comment