Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whew!

Oh my! This past week has been a full one!

This past week was the last week of the AmeriCorps Public Allies program that I have been blessed to be part of. In the ten months, I helped a non-profit implement a new marketing campaign, taught some hundred or so classes on sex education in the Bridgeport high schools, helped to paint public murals (two in Bridgeport, one in Hartford), took part in the installation of two community gardens (one in Bridgeport and one in New Haven), coordinated youth engagement workshops, volunteered at Staples High School painting scenery for their theater program, took part in a multitude of professional development trainings, designed invitations and post cards, and created a book documenting our amazing Team Service Project.


 This past week, each Ally had to present to the group a fifteen-minute exposition detailing their ten months of learning. I had to write it all up and figure out how to present it in a creative way to engage the audience. I ended up with a little video, and a Power Point depicting my year. Not being able to contain my love for poetry and language, I spoke as deliberately and pointedly as I possibly could. I received accolades. I am definitely content!

Little Video  of "Ten Months in Public Allies is Like..." Here!

Friday was our graduation ceremony, followed by a sweet Happy Hour at Two Boots in Bridgeport. Another great night with superb people! I am going to miss this crew of innovative, motivated change agents are building a healthier and happier world. I'm so glad I have been accepted for a second year in Public Allies, starting in September. And starting July 5th, I am in the MYOthello AmeriCorps program for eight weeks! I am looking forward to working with this creative program!


Then the weekend came! Yesterday, we did a little shopping for the house, some summer clothes, and some herbs for the garden (the ones I started from seed are still so tiny!). We hung out with friends and had frozen yogurt and Starbucks. Delicious! 

Today was a big day! After a morning run and yoga, Lover and I took out the ugly bushes in the front of the house. We replaced them with the following: two zebra grasses, two Karl Foersters, one fountain grass, one bee balm, one yarrow, two sedums, two salvias, and one hydrangea. Pictures of the garden itself to come!


Also coming soon, an update for Tread on Trafficking. I've got some miles to make up!

No comments:

Post a Comment