Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sparks 2011

I have completed the three year cycle of Sparks, a history/travel curriculum funded by the Tauck Foundation. I teach the curriculum to the sixth, seventh, and eighth graders attending ESCAPE to the Arts. In our first year, we learned of the European pilgrimage to the so-called "New World," the founding of the colonies, and the unfortunate plight of the indigenous people. This involved some additional material such as the revolutionary war, the whaling industry in New Bedford, MA, and the unusual religious tolerance of the colony in Newport, RI. We also learned about the illustrator Norman Rockwell as an American storyteller and icon. Our travel itinerary included key spots in Newport, New Bedford, Boston, Martha's Vineyard, and the Norman Rockwell museum.

In our second year, we learned about the Civil War, and the Underground Railroad. Supplemental learning included the lives and choices of the Amish people. We visited Baltimore MD, took a boat out onto the Chesapeake Bay (an ecological component), went to Gettysburg, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, and Amish country.

This year, we learned mainly about different immigrant groups that have gone to California over the years. We visited San Francisco and Los Angeles, with stops at Santa Barbara and Paso Robles in between. I journaled and took lots of pictures! Below are some choice photos:



















 


























This was my last Sparks trip, and most likely my last work opportunity with ESCAPE to the Arts, a non-profit organization that I have been dedicated to, and advocating for, for five years. My boss and mentor Bill taught me about having an open heart to any kid no matter how much they might piss you off. The kids taught me a lot about patience and creativity. I've decided to move on with my working choices, staying fully devoted to the mission of Public Allies and GBAPP, Inc. I am hoping that GBAPP will hire me for a permanent position once my ten months with Public Allies AmeriCorps has ended. 

Here's to the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment