Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Inventorying All the Things

As I look through many patterns for bags, cowls, and baby sweaters, I wondered just how much yarn, needles, and hooks I had actually acquired over the years.

Garden planning is on the horizon, and I have bins filled with packets and bottles of seeds. I am trying not to buy anything new, though I may be out of some favorites and will need to order again. But I won't know for sure until I look through everything!

So, with my three day weekend in which I also enjoyed many social activities, I found time to pull boxes out of the basement. I used Ravelry's "stash" system to list all the yarn, needles, and hooks. Turns out I have many, many crochet hooks and multiples of 14" knitting needles. I am bringing all of my extras to the next Stitch'n'Bitch to give out to anyone who wants them. Yarn got stowed away in drawers, and implements into another drawer, all set for a rainy day and a new project.

(If you haven't been on Ravelry.com, check it out! Tons of free patterns, and with all the old yarn I have without a project for, I can check their database for patterns used with that same yarn.)

Then I pulled out the bins of seeds. Believe it or not, I have an excel spreadsheet with vegetable, variety, sowing depth, spacing, height, fertilizer needs, and notes of each seed I keep. It helps me decide what to order and what to plant from year to year. Seeds lose their viability over the years, but most can keep for up to three years at a good rate, while some can go for even more.

So, tell me, how do you plan and prepare?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment