Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New England Poultry Expo

Lover and I have OCD. By which I mean that we have "Obsessive Chicken Disorder."

So when I found out about the big time Poultry Expo, I told Lover and we immediately decided we would go.

Come Saturday morning, we took the hour and a half trip to Massachusetts. I spent part of the trip reading "This Fine Piece of Water: An Environmental History of the Long Island Sound" for my Long Island Sound class. We listened to a Spotify playlist of recent emerging artists. It was sunny and chilly, and a perfect day for a drive through Northern CT.

When we walked inside the doors of the Expo, I don't think either of us were prepared for the cacophony that assaulted our ears. Roosters crowed in the distance, but just feet away from the doors were the squalling shrieks and squawks of many, many geese, and the rolling gargles of turkeys.




Lover was ecstatic. He ran around taking photos, a big grin on his face. I never realized what a poultry fanatic he could be once I introduced him to the antics of chicken-keeping. Someday, we'll have ducks, too.




I also saw the cutest little quail! I love quail eggs. I am seriously considering quail.I don't have a photo though! Lover saw Serama chickens for the first time, which are the tiniest breed of chickens. They are super cute, and Lover now wants, get this, a Serama rooster. Check out the photo I found online:



Ridiculous, right!

Anyway, we went on looking at all kinds of birds.










We picked up a pair of silkies for a friend. They stayed overnight out our house. Once they were comfortable, the rooster started up his crowing. It was a fun morning!

This has made me all the more excited about getting our chicks in May. I want to create a new brooder for indoors out of a big storage tub. We have a brooder for outdoors. A couple of our big hens are going to Kentucky to live with Lover's parents. So, we're making room for our new lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment