Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Washington, D.C.

I love to travel, mostly because I love to absorb the energy of new places, take in new things and ideas, and shirk usual routines and household responsibilities. When Lover told me that he had a business meeting in Washington, D.C., I was instantly jealous. It's one of my favorite cities to visit, with such a wealth of museums and history.



Well, I got to go! I met him last Monday evening, and we went for a walk along the Mall. I love to see the memorials lit up at night. I'm generally not sentimental about political and military history, and I despise war and violence. However, I love the memorials, because they become something positive. It's art uniting citizens. These are tools for teaching future generations about the effect of certain founding fathers, or the toll of war. When I look at the US memorials, I know memorials stand in other countries for those same wars. I know other people stand before them, like me. I know that things got to a point where diplomacy was either ignored or refused, and violence was used (or someone decided Germany wasn't enough for them and got a little big for their britches...). I know people who didn't necessarily want to serve, served. I know families suffered on both sides.


On Tuesday, we walked around the Air and Space Museum, The American Craft Museum, The National Gallery, and the International Spy Museum. At the Gallery, I saw a few favorites pieces:


 
 I love the color and movement within a Georgia O'Keefe. As for Gauguin, what a life! Beach living, half-naked women, and painting. Too bad he died of syphilis.

Also, the cherry blossoms were right at the precipice of explosive beauty. 


Even if it's just to cozy up with a friend at their house, sometimes it's nice to get out of our usual environment and take a breather in fresh air. Going anywhere this spring?

No comments:

Post a Comment