Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring...and Snow

Ahhh, the first snow of springtime.

What?

Well, whatever. The crocuses are going to look dashing against the white. It'll melt. What's that again about climate change?*


Happily, Lover and I, with the help of his parents, cleaned up the yard yesterday beneath a bright sun and in a chilly air. We picked up all the branches the wind pruned from the trees over the winter, broke them down, and put them in a huge pot to use as kindling for the firepit. We raked up the last of the leaves matted in dirt and stuck in corners. Can't wait to build the new composter so we can get it all in there. We took down our holiday lights (yes! we still had them up!), coiled them around cardboard, and put them away in the shed.

Last week I started all my tomato, pepper, onion, and leek seeds. I filled a 72 cell tray with pro-mix soil, scratched in worm castings from the vermicomposter, and set the tray upon a heat mat beneath a grow light. Two days later, little green guys sprouted. Now on day 5, half the tray has sprouted! I couldn't be more pleased.




We went to a Garden Expo over the weekend, and found a company that sells organic compost. Last fall, Lover and I built a raised garden bed in the backyard, and have yet to fill it. In April or the beginning of May, we'll get it delivered and into the bed. The seeds will be ready to transplant outdoors beneath homemade cloches (I'm reusing the million plastic water bottles that my roommate goes through!).

Are you gardening, too? Tell me all about it! Also, if anyone's in the area, I have a ton of heirloom seeds I can share/swap/give/etc!



*I'm aware of the process of climate change, and that scientists believe that humans are most likely responsible for speeding up the process. I was using sarcasm.

2 comments:

  1. V, thats awesome! And not to mention fast. I'm still learning alot about food (as you know because I ask alot of questions). LoL Anyway, I'm not even sure if I've ever had leeks. The Food Network and Travel Channel make them sound real good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember the first time I had leeks - in a potato and leek soup. Delicious! I'm going to have to find more recipes for them.

    ReplyDelete