Thursday, December 2, 2010

Annelids!

I wrote a blog in which I was waiting for worms. Since the arrival of the worms, I have yet to share my excitement and fascination with this admittedly odd project. 

(I say that it's odd only because it is outside the knowledge and trend of the mainstream society, though worms are a natural option for composting processes.)



Worm composting is known as vermicomposting, and the "movement" and process of vermicomposting is known as vermiculture. After reading "Worms Eat My Garbage" and ordering a vermicomposter and a pound of Eisenia fetida (red wigglers, as your run-of-the-mill earthworm will not survive in the vermicomposter), I can now say I am a participant in vermiculture, and my kitchen scraps don't go into a landfill. Woot!




I prepared the vermicomposter with their bedding - a layer of coir to start, with a layer of shredded newspaper and cardboard. In one corner I put some tomatoes and lettuce leaves that were starting to go bad.




The worms are packaged in peat moss and travel for two days. Worms need moisture to breathe through their skin, and peat moss contains just enough moisture for them to travel. I imagine they are much happier now in their new home!




Every other evening I walk down into my basement with about a pound of food scraps and shredded newspaper (a 1/2 pound of substance per day per pound of worms for feeding). I place the food with the newspaper on top (good fiber!) in a different spot each time for the worms and all the other microorganisms that come with them to work their magic! It has been about two weeks, and already I can see a change. Worm poo everywhere.

Let's be honest, folks. A lot of dirt is worm poo. Good compost is a healthy mix of worm poo (called castings) and decomposed "stuff" forming a rich, earthy humus that plants love. Healthy, organic soil means healthy plants, which can lead to a healthy you.


No comments:

Post a Comment