Sunday, December 26, 2010

Salient Sunday, Dec 26

1. Christmas Day. My family celebrates a secular Christmas, as do Lover and I. We love the bright lights, the food, and the giving and getting of gifts. Christmas morning was with my family to open gifts by their tree. I got a beautiful, new tote for work from my mom, plus a really nice parka, and an extensive hot cocoa kit (I really love hot cocoa). I also snatched her no-longer-being-used bread making machine to bring back to my house and try out. I gave her one of my original paintings that she loves, a drawer for her K cups, and a CD visor for her car. Her fiance gave me a set of free weights (strong like bull!), so that'll become part of my routine. Sister got a handknitted hat with devil horns and matching gloves from us, plus a starter kit I put together for her to try decoupage.

We had dinner with Lover's family and our roommate. His father made everyone the most bangin' potato knishes I have ever had in my life, and I plan to learn how to make them. They gave us gift certificates, and we gave them a belgian waffle maker (just wait for it...).

On our way home, we dropped by a friend's house to do presents. We got their daughter the cutest little handmade monster hat, and gave them some fun art by kudu-lah. They got us...a belgian waffle maker. Score! Lol.

Roommate also gave us presents - a hot cocoa machine (everyone knows I love hot cocoa), and a snow cone machine...lol... I think we made off like bandits this season!

2. Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve, Lover and I visited my family, bearing a gift of Chinese food (yeah, that's how we roll). We compared iPhone apps and I watched an episode of "Buffy" with my sister. That night, Lover and I returned to our home to exchange gifts. He gave me a tablet (my laptop has been dying) that he refurbished himself and filled with my favorite software programs (yay!). Along with that, he gave me a beautiful necklace, and bunny slippers, among other fun little gag gifts. I gave him a basket of humorous t-shirts (to add to his plentiful funny t-shirt collection), shot glasses that I handpainted with silly mustache faces (he's a fan of the mustache motif), and a carnivorous plant kit. My gag gift to him was an Office Space set with an Initech mug and a "Jump to Conclusions" mat.Oh yeah.

3. iPhone Acquisition. It has finally happened. I have purchased an iPhone. I love it. My favorite apps include Twitter, allrecipes, and Hipstamatic.  If you happen to share my love for the iPhone, please feel free to share your favorite apps with me by leaving a comment!

4. Gift Wrapping and Shopping. It's fun to get or make things for other people, and then wrap them up. I am thinking next year to use more sustainable gift paper like paper bags and newspaper, that I can decorate with colorful stamps. I always reuse ribbons, bows, and gift bags.

5. Twitter. I have finally discovered how to use Twitter to my benefit. As an app on the iPhone, I can follow a myriad of people and organizations whose tweets I find worth my time, and this has diversified my news sources. I retweet often articles I find the most interesting or most useful. Feel free to follow me @veramenagerie on Twitter!

Feel free to share your highlights with a comment! Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment