Wednesday, August 31, 2011

10 Reasons I am Eagerly Anticipating Fall

In no particular order, these are the things that have been on my mind lately...


 1. Leaves. The palette of the New England landscape explodes with scarlet, ochre, lemon, and orange. Raking. Leaf piles. Then there's the scent of leaf decay, which I like. Then, my friends, you have free compost material.

2. Pumpkins. Bright orange fruit! Pumpkin picking and carving. Jack-o-lanterns glowing with candles. Pumpkin pie! Salted, spiced, roasted pumpkin seeds. Delish.

3. Apples. Much like pumpkins, without the roasting of seeds and Jack-o-lanterns. But there is apple picking with friends, and apple pie and apple sauce and sweet apple loaf. Mmmm...

4. Cooler weather. As a newly devout runner, this is becoming a big one. Summer heat and humidity is brutal when you're trying to run three miles, and the treadmill bores me! I am running towards autumn with open arms. Plus, when you're not running, cooler weather allows you to wear fashionable layers. ;)

5. All Hallow's Eve. My very, very favorite holiday. Costumes, parties, spooky houses and maizes, scary movies, Halloween music! I love it all.

6. Lover's Birthday. Yay, he was born! And he's my love!

7. Fall decor. Did I mention pumpkins? Also, fall wreaths, dried corn, straw, paper bats, whatever your heart desires! I just love this color palette.

8. Apple cider donuts. This is a separate category from apples. I don't even eat donuts. But these sweet, cinnamon-y gems of apple tang and sugary, doughy goodness are just irresistible. Especially with farm-fresh apple cider.

9. Gardening. Interesting things going on in the garden! The last crop coming in, putting vegetable beds to "bed" for the winter, and canning or preserving whatever you can while munching on the rest! Also, the garlic gets put in! I love me some garlic.

10. Chrysanthemums. Showy petal bunches blooming from burgundy to yellow, and they look amazing alongside the winter kale. I love seeing it everywhere!

Ahhhh....feels good to get that out. Here's to the passing of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment