Sunday, March 10, 2013

Hardening Off

It's that time of year!



I have started putting the cole crops and onions into this nifty greenhouse thing I picked up at Home Depot for 25 bucks. It heats up nicely during the day and protects the young plants from the wind and biting cold during the night. I will put these guys into the soil next weekend, but for this week, they will enjoy the safety of the greenhouse while they acclimate to the chilly temperatures. This is a process known as "hardening off", and it's an important to-do step for your seedlings that you've sowed indoors.




Some people use cold frames to harden off their seedlings. Unfortunately, between a full time job and full grad coursework, I haven't had enough time to build frames (you can make some nice ones while upcycling old windows). Or, you can buy already made cold frames.

I am cool with this for now. I will begin loading more cole crops into it this week, and then put them into the ground. When it comes to the tomatoes and peppers, it'll be full up!

How about you? What kind of garden chores are you up to?

No comments:

Post a Comment