Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cracks in the Plan

So, now that our days of torrential weather have ended, my garden is drying out and cracks are forming in the raised bed. Woe is me! I have watered it with the hose, but the cracks are telling. Forming a hard crust can make it difficult for seedlings to sprout, and it may indicate that there is not enough organic material in the soil. Curses!

This is not really my garden. But you get the idea.
So, I am buying a bag of sand to fill in the cracks (though I am seriously considering going to the beach and bringing a bucket), and then getting a few bags of an organic compost to lay on top. Or maybe I'll take a trip to the nearby woods and get bags of leaf litter. I may have to replant some seeds, or do my best to try and unearth them without damaging them. Some things have sprouted, like the crops of radishes, kohlrabi, cucumbers, corn, beans, and peas. But the zucchini, carrots, and lettuces... Argh!

Live and learn. Always with the learning!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment