Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Eating with Mindfulness

One of my intentions for the year 2012 is to consume food, among other consumables such as tv and radio, with a sense of mindfulness. I've started by reading Thich Nhat Hanh's "Savor: Mindful Life, Mindful Eating." (Also written with Lilian Cheung.) Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk and a popular spiritual leader (and by spiritual, I mean of "spirit," or that which is the "animating or vital principle in humans and other animals"). I'm pleased that he has written a book all about food - primarily concerning weight loss - and not only proposes a holistic approach to eating food through a decidedly Buddhist lens, but also asks the reader to consider the impact of their food choices on the planet and our fellows (meaning other humans and other animals).

I have been reading paragraphs at a time for over a week now, and I am trying to remember to be mindful at each meal and snack, but largely I forget! I'm hungry, I'm thinking about other things, and I am not present in the moment, truly enjoying the food before me. I just sucked down a delicious banana-peanut butter smoothie, and it wasn't until at I was nearing the dregs that I realized I had forgotten to truly savor the drink, make it last longer, really appreciate the luxury of having food, and having so many food choices, and knowing that the banana and the rice milk and the PB2 (powdered peanut butter) would never have been possible without the backbreaking work of numerous others. I'm not even sure what it smelled like because I didn't take the moment to pay attention to what I was consuming.

In my fitness journey, and in the journey of my self, I will learn to practice mindfulness. Much like yoga, this is a practice. That takes some of the pressure off, don't you think?

Though the book is geared toward an overweight audience, I am not intending weight loss. I am looking to lose fat and gain definition through healthy eating and circuit training. I find it is still applicable to anyone, that we together as a species are more mindful of our food choices (to help ourselves and the planet) and slowly, savor each bite (to help us make healthy choices about when we are full and listen to what our body actually needs). That in savoring each bite, we know the toil that produced this food, and we know the extent of nourishment that it brings to our bodies and minds.

 Doesn't that sound truly delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment