Monday, April 11, 2011

On the Job Scene

Some of you may know about the program I am in, but for those of you that don't, here's the general rundown: I was accepted into an AmeriCorps program (in partnership with RYASAP) known as Public Allies. As a Public Ally, I work Monday through Thursday at a Bridgeport area non-profit. This is called my placement. Every Ally has a placement mostly suited to their preferences and skills. At my particular placement, I am implementing their new marketing strategy and teaching reproductive health in Bridgeport high schools (sex ed). In addition, I am spearheading the organization of their annual teen talent show and art exhibit. On Fridays, Allies meet in New Haven for professional development workshops. On top of this, we are committed to a Team Service Project (TSP) to implement in our city. For Bridgeport, we have developed the project "Bridgeport Beautifies," an initiative in urban beautification. We've partnered with other organizations and individuals to bring about gardens, murals, and city clean up. It's awesome.


The thing is, this program is a ten month program. Come the end of June we are all jobless. Stellar people, but jobless stellar people. Unless we've worked it out ahead of time...

I still work at my old part-time job, ESCAPE to the Arts, in Danbury. I will be enjoying yet another SPARKS trip this year, this time to San Francisco and Los Angeles! (More about this later.) But it certainly won't pay the bills for the summer.

The other issue? My beloved placement wants me to come back for a second year. (WIN!) Again, this means another ten months, starting in September, in Public Allies (though the year works differently when you have the privilege of being a Second Year Ally). Which leaves this eight week gap of little-to-no income in the summer.

I saw another AmeriCorps opportunity with a program called MYO. Conveniently, an eight week summer program to produce the play Othello with a targeted audience of teenagers. Conveniently running through July and August.

You know I had to try.

Well, the work and effort paid off, because I was offered the Team Leader position for the production crew! I accepted, and now this is one more thing to celebrate!


Feel free to tell me something that's going on good for you. I love celebrating other people's successes as much as my own!

3 comments:

  1. Who care's about my little wins … You … you and your work and effort, you are rOcKiN'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *I* care about your "little" wins! What I Made Today gives me great relief each time I read it because it reminds me of how each day can be a great success in even the smallest and humblest of acts, along with the "big" ones. Girl, we both are rockin'!

    (Find her blog at http://whatrosemadetoday.blogspot.com/) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Every little win counts. BTW, Public Allies provides amazing post-program opportunities if you do the work. If I can do it, I feel like anybody can.

    -Raya

    ReplyDelete