Monday, April 25, 2011

Post-Holiday Week

I hope everyone enjoyed their past week, whether you celebrated a holiday, or two, or none. My week started with a Passover dinner with Lover's extended family. I heart: potato kugel, that apple-walnut spread, and matzoh balls! My goal is to learn how to make all those things and make them well. There were irreverent readings from the Haggadah (I always think Haagen-Dazs - delicious!), and much mingling.














(Do you notice something similar between the two? I'll give you a hint: Look at the small print.)

On Friday night we visited friends who were busy decorating eggs for Easter. I love decorating eggs, but I don't personally celebrate Easter (or Passover, for that matter), and Lover doesn't like hard-boiled eggs. It was nice to get to my egg-decoration fix at the house of someone who will enjoy them!


(I know I look stoned, I was super tired, okay?!?!)

On Sunday we had dinner with Lover's family and our old roommate (who recently moved out of our house). Lover's mother gave each of us a bagful of candy, cookies, colored eggs, and socks. Not only do socks break up the lovely ending alliteration in that last sentence, but they seem like a strange gift for Easter, right? I'm down with it, though. Socks are useful, and these were athletic "no-show" types that are perfect for the gym and running. So, they're a win!

What do you think of changing Easter traditions of sugary gift-giving to healthier, more practical endowments? I mean, my taste buds are all for the chocolate, but my waistline isn't! For the essential candy part, I think of special chocolate candies with real dark chocolate (more antioxidants) that is fair trade (no Ivory Coast child labor), complemented by gourmet jelly beans. Depending on the person's preferences, you could add heirloom vegetable seeds, homemade sugar scrubs, a jar of local honey (I'm on a big beekeeping bend right now!), a lovingly crocheted spring scarf, or some other simple gift. Even more practical would be socks, or a toothbrush and dental floss. What do you think? Got any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment