Sunday, April 10, 2011

Spare Time for Seeds

It's rainy today. The snow has ceased, much to the relief of many New Englanders.

Yesterday's spare time was all about the seedlings. Most of the tomatoes have outgrown the seed cells (it hasn't even been a full four weeks since they were planted!). I transplanted them, a jalapeno pepper plant, and two romanesco broccoli plants into bigger pots and put them on the kitchen counter by the window. The houseplants don't necessarily like to share their sun, but that doesn't matter today. It's the seedlings' first day in big-kid pots, and it's a dreary one!



 In the empty seed cells left behind, I ladled in more Pro-Mix (a sterile, organic dirt), and started new seeds. I put in basil of three kinds: Thai, Genovese, and Cinnamon; two kinds of onion: Golden Princess and Sweet Spanish Yellow; a spearmint; Triple Curled parsley and Giant from Italy parsley; marigolds; stevia; swiss chard of the Five Color Silverbeet variety; borage; and Mustard habanero.


AND, I planted one other thing: green bell pepper sprouts from Trader Joe's. A week ago, I had half a green pepper that had started to mold in the fridge, so I chopped it up and tossed it into the worm bin. This week while turning over the compost to help keep it oxygenated, I discovered a clump of sprouts. I am eager to see if they will take to the soil and continue growing.

They've been placed back under the grow light on top of the heating mat. I think this heat mat is key to the whole process. I've never had seedlings germinate so quickly and grow so well that I had to transplant them into larger pots before I could put them outside.

Planting anything? Even if it's not plants, how about the seeds (or steps) for a good summer, or a new exercise routine or connecting with an old friend? Tell me what you're "planting" in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment