Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mural Painting at St Francis Lead Safe Home

Public Allies (an AmeriCorps program) has given me amazing opportunities in service. Last fall, I got to participate in the making of a new community garden. On Martin Luther King Day, we showed a film on the Children's Marches and then played scrabble in an elderly home (I love Scrabble, and I love listening to the stories of old folks).

For our spring "Global Youth Service Day," I was asked to lead a team to provide a mural for a lead-safe home in Hartford. Honored, I accepted and planned for the day": a simple, but colorful mural for the children who live in this home to enjoy while they spend time in the small, fenced in yard.


With paints and brushes at the ready, the team arrived as I was drawing the design onto the six 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. 


We blocked in a lot of the colors pretty quickly. Then the wind started, and the temperature began to drop quickly. With the gusts of wind came spilled paint.



The first 4' x 8' panel:


The third (apparently I am missing a photo of the second!):


The fourth:


The fifth:


The sixth:


None of them are finished! The cold and wind soon drove everyone inside, and the coordinators and I decided to call it a day. I've decided to return in a couple weeks to add the finishing touches - more trees and animals, and people enjoying their day along the rainbow hills.

 
Poor grass...


With hope the murals will brighten up the days of children who will come to live here. Go Mural Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment