Friday, February 15, 2013

Pepper Favorites

I grow a variety of peppers each year, mostly to test varieties out. Also, because I end up with a crazy supply of pepper seeds.

I've decided I am really looking, this year, for a sweet variety that is prolific and delicious. I have many varieties started, so I will really pay attention and decide what ones are worth starting next year.

But, I do have some favorites, especially of the spicy variety.

Spicy

The compound that make the spicy peppers spicy is called capsaicin. It is an irritant that most likely developed as a deterrent against herbivores, and perhaps fungi. And we humans loooove some of the spicy for our cuisines.

Joe Long Cayenne - They weren't kidding when they called these guys long. This is a very prolific plant with good sized, hot fruit. I love watching these peppers turn red; they look amazing. I picked them and place them on top of my fridge to dry, and then stored them in a jar. I've put them into chilis and added them to a couple jars of pickles I canned. They lend plenty of spice!

Mustard Habanero - To be honest, I haven't tried other habanero types. I will sometime, but for right now, this plant does the job. It grows a ton of mustard colored, wrinkled habaneros that are super hot. Last year, my friend Liz Lemon* made an habanero jelly that was AMAZING. I am definitely going to make it this year to give out as presents - and to have on top of my cheese and crackers. Baked sweet 'n' spicy brie, anyone?

Fish Pepper - This is a gorgeous pepper plant with variegated leaves and striated fruit that can grow in different colors. The peppers are not as spicy as habanero or cayenne, but they do have a bit of a kick. I plan on planting a few of these out in the front yard among the flowers for added interest. I just love looking at them!

Sweet

Of course, who doesn't love sweet peppers? Lover and I eat quite a few of them in our meals.

Miniature Yellow Bell - I love miniature sweet peppers. I find the plants to be more prolific than the the large bell peppers, and they are easy to eat as stuffed appetizers, plus to throw in to omelets or main dishes. They also look super cute.

I don't have any other sweet peppers to recommend, as I haven't had super exciting results with many other varieties I have grown. I am going to make a valiant effort this year to grow the seven sweet varieties I have under the best conditions and find out if any of those are worth growing again. Anyone out there have any recommendations??

*This is not the real Liz Lemon, nor is that my friend's real name. But who doesn't want to be friends with Liz Lemon?

No comments:

Post a Comment