Thursday, February 7, 2013

Seedling Starts

February is glorious. Snowstorm ahead, and I can sit inside prepping seeds for transplant.


In one tray, I have planted several varieties of pepper - Mustard Habanero, Jalapeno, Joe Long's Cayenne, Fish, Sweet Buran, California Wonder, Corno di Toro, Quadrato D'Asti, and Orange Bell. This tray went on a heated seed mat, so I also included rosemary seeds, which love warm soil. I also had a weird packet simply called "Capsicuum anuum" (general latin name for pepper), and I planted those to see what happens. This year, I labeled markers and placed them. Last year, it was a chaotic mess of no labels. I just planted stuff and ate what I could. But, it's not the best way if you have limited room and want to plant favorites and a couple noobs... Label your plants!!


This is the set-up in the basement. I planted the seeds according to the packet directions, placed markers, and covered them with plastic. The light is off until the seeds germinate. The germination process only needs warmth and moisture. Once things start sprouting, I will remove the plastic and turn on the grow light.



The above tray is cole crops and herbs. I planted Waltham and DeCicco Broccoli, Late Flat Dutch Cabbge, Aichi (Chinese Cabbage), Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, Violet of Sicily and Snowball Y Cauliflower, and Georgia Southern Collard Greens. The herbs I planted were lemon mint and lamb's ear. The plastic in the above picture is pulled back slightly to reveal the first sprouts of the year:


Baby Aichi! This Chinese Cabbage was the first to sprout last year, as well. They are in two different seed starting mediums - a sort of informal test. So far, all things seem equal.

I also planted Dorata di Parma onion seeds in a 4" pot. I want more onions and peppers this year, as the CSA I take part in gives me a ton of zucchini, eggplant, and summer squash during the summer months, and not nearly enough onions and peppers! I was drowning in a sea of squash and eggplant.

And I am not a big fan of eggplant.

We'll see how it goes this year. Lover is dreading the CSA, as he hates how it directs our dinner decisions. Personally, I love the challenge of not letting food go to waste, and I love that it makes me eat so many more vegetables than I would normally, even with my vegetable gardening!

Have you ever tried a CSA? What was your experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment