Friday, February 8, 2013

Seed Order! Part 3

Yay! More talk about seeds! There is probably a disorder listed somewhere for gardeners. I admit to having a passionate (ahem...addictive) personality, and gardening is high on my list of passions (er....addictions)!

This order is from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. This place has a fantastic supply of amazing heirloom veggies. And I LOVE heirlooms!

Tabasco Pepper - I've decided to try my hand at making my own tabasco sauce. Because apparently I am a glutton for punishment. (Have you ever made a hot sauce? I usually end up with swollen eyes and a deep, unrelenting cough reflex that makes my throat and lungs feel like they are on fire. But I prevail!) Also, another cool ornamental pepper for the front yard!

Costata Romanesco Zucchini - I usually grow Black Beauty. I decided to use my CSA zucchini for baked goods (zucchini bread and zucchini cookies are among my favorite summer treats). I wanted something more interesting for stir-fried, roasted, and grilled zukes. This striated squash holds naturally scalloped edges when you slice it, and it's recommended that you cook it while it's small, and still has the flower attached. Can't wait to try it!

Romanesco Italia Broccoli - I love the obvious fractal nature of this vegetable. Sometimes called broccoli, sometimes listed as cauliflower, it's delicious, nutritious, and looks neat. I've been wanting to grow it for years, but had yet to actually buy the seeds. So, problem fixed.

Early Purple Sprouting Broccoli - Isn't this beautiful? It does take up a lot of space. I want to see if it is worth it. I might grow it out in the front yard among the flowers. We'll see!

Thai Sweet Basil - It's funny. I don't like licorice, yet I love the anise flavor of Thai basil. This variety is said to grow up to 3 feet tall. It's going out front among the flower beds.

Utah Tall Celery - I grew celery last year, and it was AMAZING. Much more flavorful than store-bought celery. I think it did better than a lot of the stuff I grew. I would definitely recommend growing celery!

That was it for my order from Baker Creek. Let me know if you have tried any of these, or if you have any favorites you would like to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment