Monday, February 11, 2013

Seeds in Brick-and-Mortar

No one should ever come to me if they need help restraining themselves on seed purchases. I want to become a more conscientious gardener, but there are so many varieties to try! Also, I can't resist the seed aisles. I look. And then I buy. But only the organic, non-GMO kinds.

Red Brandywine - In 2012, I grew the pink brandywine tomato. It was delicious, and hardy. It produced tomatoes even as others suffered from blight. The red brandywine is supposed to be less sweet, and still full of flavor. I look forward to trying it.

Delicata Squash - I have never grown this type of squash before. As we all know, I love to experiment. I also love winter squash for their myriad of shapes, patterns, and colors. Delicata is known as a winter squash, but it belongs to the family of summer squashes. It doesn't store well, but it does grow easily and can bring on the season of winter squash cooking early on, and you can save your butternut squashes for winter eating (I've even heard some people say this prefer this to butternut!).

Bushmaster Garden Bean - I try to grow as many veggies as I can that Lover will eat. He's not so good at eating his vegetables. Beans and peas are something he loves, so I plant several varieties of each every year. These are delicious sauteed, stir-fried, lightly steamed, or fresh.

All this garden dreaming has got me feeling warm and toasty on the inside. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment